Tuesday, June 26, 2012

Mango breakfast crisp



I made this mango breakfast crisp for two reasons. First reason: for the comfort that comes with making and eating any kind of fruit crisp. Second reason: because I am on the verge of moving yet again and find myself with two bags of frozen chopped mango. While my move to Ottawa was exciting because I was about to embark on a whole new career, beginning with pastry school, my return to Montreal is bittersweet. I now have a "pâtisserie de base" certificate and I could have continued on to the next level, but I have chosen not to. As my classmates return to school, I am packing up my boxes and moving back home.



The move was my decision and had to be for so many reasons, but still, I find that right now, it is a little harder to get out of bed in the mornings and face the days, the packing, the people I have to explain my story to, and the unknown road ahead. So, I'm bribing myself with breakfast crisp all while emptying the freezer and pantry, and I'm filling my belly. It's my way of dealing. Can you blame me?

I un-healthified this breakfast crisp ever so slightly (adapted from Whole Living magazine) by tossing a few tablespoons of brown butter into the topping. The brown butter makes the crisp that much nuttier. I baked this recipe in a deep-dish, 7-inch round ramekin that is almost 3-inches deep. The recipe filled the dish to the rim, and made my apartment smell amazing. For those thinking they wouldn't like mango crisp, it's actually quite lovely. The mango stays bright and fresh tasting. It's the perfect form of bribery and something to look forward to in the morning.


Mango breakfast crisp

    Makes one crisp (either 8x8-inch or a large, deep-dish 7-inch ramekin)
  • 1 1/2 cups oats
  • 3 tbsp whole wheat flour, divided
  • 1/3 cup sliced almonds
  • 1 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp ground ginger
  • 1/4–1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 1/2 cups frozen chopped mango
  • 1 lemon, juiced
  • 2 tbsp light brown sugar
  • 2 tbsp honey
  • 2 tbsp maple syrup
  • 2–3 tbsp browned butter

  1. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
  2. In a medium bowl combine the oats, 2 tbsp whole wheat flour, sliced almonds, cinnamon, ginger and salt. Set this aside.
  3. In another medium bowl, combine the remaining whole wheat flour with the mango and lemon juice. Set this aside.
  4. In a small bowl, stir together the brown sugar, honey, maple syrup, and the browned butter. Add this to the bowl containing the oat mixture and stir to thoroughly combine everything.
  5. Place the mango in the bottom of individual ramekins, or one giant ramekin, or an 8x8-inch square glass pan. Top with the oat mixture.
  6. Bake for about 50 minutes or until the topping begins to turn a deep, crispy golden brown and the fruits are sizzling hot (you'll be able to hear the sizzle!).

10 comments:

  1. This sounds really good! I think I'd even add some coconut to the topping..

    Try not to worry about explaining yourself, everyone at home loves you and will always support you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynn! That's what I'm counting on right now...

      Delete
  2. I wish i had one of this at my breakfast today! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. When are you coming to make me this in my new kitchen?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mango for breakfast?! We wouldn't say no! I have that same ceramic bowl, btw!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look like the perfect breakfast for me! Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I may have to try something similar with fruit I have in the freezer for breakfast soon. Good luck with the move. When one door closes a window opens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thx for connecting with me on foodbuzz. I just subscribed to your blog feed and can't wait to see what your next post will be!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Nothing more comforting than a crisp to cheer you up. I think what you did the last nine months was amazing and you should be very proud of yourself. You never know what's waiting around the corner for you...

    ReplyDelete